Joanna’s 2018 RAMSOC roundup!


(but only September-December because she is a very busy lady who must get back to her family jigsaw puzzle)

Hello, and welcome to the first and last annual RAMSOC newsletter, where we look back on some of the highlights of this year, most of which are cute animal photos. It has been a real pleasure serving you all as Publicity Sec, especially for the bit where I’ve actually been in the country and met the people who open my emails each week. Thank you for embracing Sheep of the Week just as I’d hoped – every week I baa-sk in the glow of excited messages from you all. So without further ado, here are some 2018 highlights – make sure to leave yours in the comments!

Weekends Away

Elterwater and Snowdonia were both exciting adventures in their own way, particularly the coach/minibus journeys! Although our ascent up Snowdon was marred by cloud, the cloud inversion and brief views from the top made it (nearly) all worthwhile, as well as the reward of a delicious meal and a truly unforgettable bonfire once we got back down. I’ll omit Sunday’s miserable rainy walks from the 2018 highlights, and instead move onto the gorgeous weather in Elterwater, where Scafell Pike was at its best, and a lucky few even managed a Scramble. All this bodes very well for the Brecon Beacons in February!

Sunday Walks

We’ve been all over the place this year! Branching out from our familiar corners of the Peak District, we’ve also crossed over into the Lincolnshire Wolds and Shropshire. We’ve been able to admire the views from The Roaches, Mam Tor and Kinder, amongst other Peak peaks. My favourite walk by far was around Axe Edge Moor and the Goyt Valley, led by one of our new Grade Two trainees – and there will be more opportunities for Grade Two training in the Spring term!

Socials

Oh, Cheese and Wine Night, we should make you an everyday event. (also literally every other Wednesday has been super fun, so thanks Hayley!)

‘One Too Many’ Moment

I think every member of the committee was nominated at least twice, and of course a special commendation must go to our darling Ollie Fisher and that fire, but the real winner must be the man who just wanted to make us aware of the wet floor, like the kind caring soul he is, by dancing round it and wearing it like a codpiece. Thanks, el presidente!

Battle of the Cattle

This term’s winner of the Battle of the Cattle (a thing I made up right now) has to be Alex Gibson’s AMAZING COW (which is literally what it’s saved as on my computer). IT’S SO BIG AND FLUFFY. What a beast.

‘Attenborough’ Moment of the Term


I am so grateful to Yiqing for capturing the moment that our dear Peter Jackson made a new friend. It’s just like Attenborough and the chimpanzees. The only other nominee for Attenborough Moment of the Term was ‘Literally Every Moment I’ve Spent with Graham’, who better make at least seven award winning BBC documentaries about insects please. Keep it up my little nature-loving friends!

Group Photo of the Term:


Night Hike:

Hahahaha only kidding – this is the Actual Group Photo of the Term

This one was a tie! The first I love because the people in the foreground look just so miserable but the people in the background are making a real effort to look cheerful and it’s adorable. The second one is just magical in every sense.




x


Sheep of the Semester

Of all the sheeps of the week, and believe me, we’ve had a whole flock, this one is by far my favourite. Now don’t get me wrong – I love a blurry Sheep of the Week. I love pixelated, rain-drenched, jaunty-angled ones. I love selfies and accidental zooms and pictures where you swear that the sheep is just out of shot But the quality, the beauty of this photo, and this little, cheeky, smiling soul in the centre makes me smile every time. Well done Stella!


What does 2019 hold (apart from March 29 and potential Apocalypic Doom)?

We’ve got a corker of a year planned for you, and all my favourite socials yet to come (and they’ve already been so good!). The Burns Night Ceilidh promises to be a scream, and we’ve got Cocktails and Canapés, the Progressive Meal and, my favourite, Cake and Ale – that’s right, eating and drinking will still be a big part of RAMSOC. Oh yeah, and apparently we’ll be doing some walking too. Our first walk will be Hathersage on the 27th January.

In the meantime, I hope you all have a restful break – I thoroughly recommend the Shaun the Sheep Movie on BBC iPlayer – I’ve already watched it twice this week, so am earning my Crazy Sheep Lady badge. And I will see you in 2019 for more fun and games!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Weekend

The RAMSOC Archive

An account of The Dark Peak Marathon, 2015